Every day in the NHS there are fantastic staff doing fantastic things for patients and colleagues. If you know someone who truly represents the values of the NHS and goes above and beyond the call of duty then please nominate them for the Chairman's Award
You can download the Chairman's Award leaflet here (358KB)
Recognising and thanking our staff and volunteers
Every day our staff and volunteers make a positive contribution to the lives of thousands of people in Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin and mid Wales. We are proud of their achievements and we hope you are too.
If you know a person or team in the Trust who has gone that extra mile for patients, visitors, colleagues or the wider community then please nominate them for the Chairman’s Award. This is a rolling programme of Awards to recognise and reward the passion and commitment of NHS staff and volunteers. The Chairman’s Award is presented at least six times each year at our Board meeting.
Nominate someone for the Chairman’s Award
You can nominate anyone who works for The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust. This includes people who volunteer for voluntary organisations based in our hospitals, such as the Leagues of Friends. Your nomination should normally be for an individual but exceptionally we will also consider a nomination for a team.
Please use the form on the back of the Chairman's Award leaflet to tell us why they deserve special recognition. Maybe they made your stay in hospital more comfortable. Perhaps they work hard “behind the scenes” to ensure that patients receive the best services or that clinical staff are supported to provide excellent care.
How do we judge people for the Chairman’s Award?
The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust has a Framework of Values which guides the decisions we make.
Our core values are:
The full Framework of Values is available in the Chairman's Award leaflet. We use this Framework to decide who will receive the Chairman’s Award.
Who do you know who has worked particularly hard to put patients first? To treat patients and colleagues with integrity? To provide support to the people who use our services or the people who deliver them? Who inspire pride in the Trust and in our services?
How do I nominate someone for the Chairman's Award?
Nominate someone using the nomination form
Nominate someone by letter
If you cannot download the leaflet then you can nominate someone in writing to Trust Chairman, The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, Mytton Oak Road, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY3 8XQ or the Princess Royal Hospital, Grainger Drive Apley Castle, Telford TF1 6TF.
You should include the following information in your nomination:
- Your name, address and telephone number
- We may need to contact you for further information about your nomination. Please tell us if you do not wish to be contacted.
- The name and address of the person or team you are nominating
- A short explanation of why you think they deserve the Chairman’s Award
- Your signature and the date
Winners of the Chairman's Award
- November 2013: Ceri Adamson, Surgical Centre Matron for Urology, Colorectal, Breast, Bariatric and Vascular
- October 2013: John Pinches, Theatre Porter
- September 2013: Eth Harris, Housekeeper on Children's Ward, PRH
- July 2013: Lin Ijewsky, Stroke Specialist Nurse; and Sharon Jones, X-Ray Assistant at RSH
- June 2013: Dr Probal Moulik, Lead Diabetes Consultant and Erica Richardson, Diabetes Nurse Specialist
- May 2013: Judith Tudor, Corporate Education Manager
- April 2013: Andrea Phillips, Supply Technician, Endoscopy
- March 2013: Sr Rachel Pearce and Sr Carol Van Der Westhuizen, Ward 9, PRH
- March 2013: We also presented a special Chair's Commendation to our Domestic Services Teams at both hospitals
- February 2013: Hospital at Night Team
- January 2013: Clare Walsgrove, Matron, Emergency and Critical Care, RSH
- 29 November 2012: Frontline staff responsible for delivering the Head and Neck relocation to the Princess Royal Hospital - (Rachel Williams and the Head and Neck Ward team; Amy White and the Paediatric Head and Neck team; Jenny Bridges and the Outpatient Team; Sue Hambleton, David Chan and the PRH Estates team; RSH and PRH Theatre teams, with specific mention to Steve Bennett for his hard work and support with equipment; Kelvin Shillam and colleagues from IT)
- 1 November 2012: Sandra Copson, Sister on ITU at RSH
- July 2012: Nick Holding and Sally Hodson, for the Great Walk To Work
- June 2012: Future Team
- May 2012: Del Franks, Staff Nurse on Ward 15 at PRH (plus special award for Ward 15)
- April 2012: Clinical Site Management Teams
- March 2012: Shelley Gooding, Hygiene and Compliance Officer
- January 2012: Sister Belinda Wright, Ward 7, PRH
- November 2011: Hilary Beswick, Maxillofacial Lab Team, RSH
- September 2011: Darren Beddows, Plaster Room, RSH
- July 2011: Medical Assessment Units at PRH and RSH
- June 2011: Jane Jefferies, Domestic Assistant, PRH
- March 2011: ITU Departments at PRH and RSH
- October 2010 - Ann Davies, Catering Department, RSH
- August 2010: Liz Winder, Ward 15, PRH
- June 2010: Intermediate Care Area Team, RSH
- March 2010: Betty Aldred, Housekeeper, MAU, PRH
- January 2010: Robert Matravers, HCA, RSH
- November 2009: Milan Lazic, HCA, PRH
- September 2009: Tom Saum, Medical Engineer
- July 2009: Julie Rathbone (Head and Neck Support Nurse) and Katharine Robinson (Head and Neck Clinical Nurse Specialist)
- May 2009: Anna Rowley, Staff Nurse, Coronary Care, PRH
- March 2009: Julia Harris, Domestic Services, Radiotherapy Department
- January 2009: Roslyn Norton, Health & Safety / Security Assistant
- November 2008: Emma Martin, Staff Nurse, Ward 22S
- November 2008: Andy Hudson, Capital Planning Manager (retired) - Honorary Award
- September 2008: Michael Smith, S&E Housekeeper
- July 2008: Shirley Wakeley, Outpatients Receptionist and first winner of the relaunched awards
The Chairman's Award was not presented between August 2006 and July 2008. It was re-launched in July 2008.
- Sister Josie Bailey, Site Manager, RSH (August 2006)
- Staff on Ward 7 at the Princess Royal Hospital (July 2006)
- All staff who work over Bank Holiday periods (May 2006)
- Sue Bennett, Nick Holding and Judith Tudor and the team who put together the Trust Video (March 2006)
- Jill Stretton and Rachel Pearson (November 2005)
- Sister Julie Hall, Sister Debbie Llewellyn and Staff Nurse Helen Russell on Ward 26U (September 2005)
- Paul Williams (Peppy), Painter and Decorate (June 2005)
- Sister Angela Bailey, Clinical Nurse Specialist for Upper GI Cancer (May 2005)
- Staff on Ward 14 at the Princess Royal Hospital (April 2005)
- Mr Hurlow, Dr Agrawal, Dr Fielding, Sister Pat Jones, Gynaecology Ward Staff, the radiologists and their teams (January 2005)
- Lynne Taylor and the Cardiorespiratory Team at Princess Royal Hospital (November 2004)
- Sister Gail Wilkinson and Sister Diane Rogers (September 2004)
- Reverend David Johnson (July 2004)
- Sukhi Sahota and San Sekham (June 2004)
- Robert Speak and Louise Green (April 2004)
- Jackie Hyne, Janice Llewellyn, Cynthia Beddow, Penny Butler, Lisa Harries (March 2004)
- Phil Hulse (March 2004) Richard Wiggin, Fiona Sands, Russel Rogerson, Trust Groundspeople (January 2004)
- Will Smith and Richard Williams (November 2003)
Other Awards for Staff and Teams
Every year, individuals and teams can also be nominated for the Trust Awards. These awards recognise innovation and improvement in health and health services and are awarded every year at our Annual General Meeting. Please visit the Trust Awards page to find out more.