Royal Shrewsbury Hospital,
Mytton Oak Rd,
Contact Telephone: 01743 261000
Please be aware that we are currently experiencing roadworks in the local area.
Travelling by Car
Directions by road to our hospitals are available below. Car Parking charges apply in all our car parks. More information is available on the Car parking page.
The Royal Shrewsbury Hospital is conveniently located near the A5-B4386 junction on the west of Shrewsbury. From this roundabout follow signs to Shrewsbury and the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital. The hospital is located 0.8 miles ahead on your left via a small roundabout.
From the East (Birmingham M6)
- at Junction 10a join the M54 (signposted North & Mid Wales, Telford )
- at Junction 7 the M54 becomes the A5
- at first roundabout (Junction with A49) take 1st exit (signposted North Wales, Oswestry)
- at next roundabout (Junction with A5064/B4380) take 2nd exit (stay on A5)
- at next roundabout (Junction with A49/A5112) take 3rd exit (stay on A5)
- at next roundabout (Junction with A488 ) take 2nd exit (stay on A5)
- at next roundabout (Junction with B4386) take 3rd exit on to B4386 (signpostedShrewsbury and Royal Shrewsbury Hospital)
- Royal Shrewsbury Hospital main entrance is 0.8 miles ahead on your left via a small roundabout.
From the North West
- follow the A483 past Wrexham
- follow signs for Oswestry (stay on the A483)
- from the A483 follow signs to Shrewsbury joining the A5 southbound
- as you approach Shrewsbury you will reach the A458 roundabout – take the 2nd exit (stay on A5)
- at the next roundabout (junction with B4386) take the first exit onto B4386 (signposted Shrewsbury and Royal Shrewsbury Hospital
- Royal Shrewsbury Hospital main entrance is 0.8 miles ahead on your left via a small roundabout
From Welshpool, Newtown and the West (A458)
- as you approach Shrewsbury you will reach the A5 roundabout – take the 3rd exit on to A5southbound
- at the next roundabout (Junction with B4386) take 1st exit on to B4386 (signposted Shrewsbury and Royal Shrewsbury Hospital)
- Royal Shrewsbury Hospital main entrance is 0.8 miles ahead on the left via a small roundabout
Travelling by Bus
The nearest bus stops for the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital are:
- On the hospital site by the main outpatient entrance – the Shrewsbury Town bus service (No. 1 Arriva Service from Shrewsbury Bus Station) calls here. This service runs every 15 minutes.
- Adjacent to the hospital site on Mytton Oak Road – several county bus services stop here, including:
- 74 Shrewsbury-Ford-Llanymynech-Llanfyllin
- 553 Shrewsbury-Bishop’s Castle via Hanwood, Pontesbury, Minsterley and Lydham – provided by Minsterley Motors.
- 558 Shrewsbury-Montgomery via Chirbury, Worthen and Yockleton – provided by Tanat Valley Coaches.
- X75 Shrewsbury-Rhayadar via Ford, Welshpool, Newtown, Caersws, Llandinam and Llanidloes – provided by Celtic Travel.
- X70 & 70 To the North of the hospital on the Welshpool Road is the Oxen Priory Stop. A 14 minute walk to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, Oswestry to Shrewsbury. Route 70
- 12 Shrewsbury to Kingswood Estate and Merlin road. Route 12 Access the hospital via Westhope Avenue.
Travelling by Train
Shrewsbury Train Station is situated in the centre of Shrewsbury.
It is approximately three minutes walk (200 metres) to Shrewsbury Bus Station (see above). It is approximately 15 minutes drive (two miles) to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital. Taxis are available from outside the station.
Trains from all over the country, including Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin and Powys, stop at Shrewsbury Train Station:
- Cambrian Line to Welshpool, Newtown, Caersws and stations to Aberystwyth & Pwllheli
- Chester/Wrexham/Shrewsbury line to Gobowen, Chirk and stations to Chester & Holyhead
- Crewe-Shrewsbury line to Yorton, Wem, Prees, Whitchurch and stations to Crewe & Manchester
- Marches Line to Church Stretton, Ludlow and Hereford.
- Shrewsbury-Wolverhampton line to Wellington, Telford, Shifnal, Cosford, Albrighton and stations to Wolverhampton, Birmingham and London
- Trains from Telford station can take approximately 20-25 minutes
Walking or cycling
If you live nearby and are fit and well, we encourage you to walk or cycle to our hospitals. The Royal Shrewsbury Hospital is approximately two miles from the town centre or Shrewsbury railway station. There are excellent cycle routes leading to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital using the quieter or residential roads nearby.
The trust provides “Sheffield” style cycle parking stands racks which are situated around the hospital grounds including covered sheltered bicycle parking. These shelters are located near the Main Entrance to Outpatients, A&E Entrance, North & South of the Ward Block, nr Shropdoc. Uncovered Sheffield stands cycle parking are also located next to the Treatment Centre and Learning Centre.
NHS Staff also have access to two secure cycle shelters. Please contact the Sustainable Travel Plan Coordinator via email greenertravels@ sath.nhs.uk.
Planning your cycle journey
To plan your local cycling route to The Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, you can use the CycleStreets journey planner.
Planning your walking journey
To plan your walking route to The Royal Shrewsbury hospital from other locations, you can use Google maps journey planner.