23 February 2021
From today, unpaid carers aged 18-64 can book a COVID-19 vaccination appointment via the national booking system without receiving a letter.
To be eligible, they need to be in receipt of carer’s allowance. They can book online at: www.nhs.uk/covid-vaccination or call 119 free of charge, between 7am and 11pm, seven-days-a-week.
Carers aged 18-64 who do not receive carer’s allowance and are not already registered with their council’s Carers Support Centre, should do so. They will then be contacted to book an appointment at a local centre.
Carers aged 16 or 17 are not eligible to book via the national booking system. If these young carers are not already registered with their council’s Carers Support Centre they should do this and be supported to book their vaccination.
Carers aged 65 and over can already book on the national system, providing they have already received a letter inviting them to do so. Invitations to all over 65s to book appointments have been issued since mid-February.
Carers are defined as those caring for an elderly or disabled person who is at increased risk of COVID-19 mortality and are therefore clinically vulnerable.
Those clinically vulnerable to COVID-19 include.
- Children with severe neuro-disabilities;
- Those who are designated Clinically Extremely vulnerable (CEV);
- Adults who have underlying health conditions (as defined in table 3 of the green book: COVID-19 Greenbook chapter 14a (publishing.service.gov.uk)(Locally, we have agreed that carers aged 16 plus of individuals aged 16 plus, who have a moderate, severe or profound learning disability who are on the Learning Disability register, are also eligible);
- Those who need care because of advanced age.
Some carers will be invited by their own GP, if registered, and may choose to receive their vaccination via this route.
Telford & Wrekin and Shropshire Councils and the local Carers Support Centres are continuing to work hard to support the NHS, to ensure that all unpaid carers of clinically vulnerable people receive a COVID-19 vaccination.
They are encouraging people to register their details to ensure they receive the latest information and to assist them, where necessary, in booking appointments.
- If you live in Shropshire, your Carer Support Centre (Shropshire Council) can be contacted on 01743 341995 or by email:Shropshire.Carers@shropshire.gov.uk
- If you live in Telford & Wrekin, the Telford Carers Centre can be contacted on 01952 240 209 or by email: email@example.com