The Colorectal Clinical Nurse Specialists are a very experienced group of specialist nurses working at Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust who work closely with the colorectal surgeons and other members of the multidisciplinary team. The nurses are available to patients following diagnosis of bowel cancer, or if patients have a benign condition requiring surgery.
Clinical Nurse Specialists
How can they help?
Provide support and information about matters such as:
- Bowel Cancer
- Treatment options
- Support for patients and carers at any stage of the illness
- Emotional support
- Symptom control
- Links with Community Teams and GPs to provide on-going support
- Liaison with other members of the Multi-disciplinary Team as necessary
- Being a familiar face throughout and providing some stability to patients and their carers acting as a key worker.
- Stoma care: Teaching self-management to facilitate independence involving carers and family as required. Reviewing patients in clinic for routine follow up or if experiencing problems.