If feeling unwell, choosing the appropriate service will make sure you get the best possible care and treatment as quickly as possible.

Your options:

The NHS offers many ways for people to get the right treatment.

It’s a good idea to make sure your GP surgery, local Out of Hours number and NHS 111 are saved into your mobile phone so you can quickly and easily call for advice if you’ve had a minor accident.

Self Care

If you are feeling unwell but your symptoms are mild enough, you may be able to care for yourself at home without seeking further medical treatment.

Keeping your medicine cabinet stocked up is important. So whether you have a grazed knee, sore throat or a cough, you should be able to treat it within the comfort of your own home.

Remember if your condition worsens, please seek further help.


Pharmacies can offer clinical advice and over-the-counter medicines for a range of minor illnesses, such as coughs, colds, sore throats, tummy trouble and aches and pains, as well as selling bandages and supports for minor twists and sprains.

If symptoms suggest it’s something more serious, pharmacists have the right training to make sure you get the help you need. For example they will tell you if you need to see a GP, Registered Nurse or other healthcare professional.

All pharmacists train for 5 years in the use of medicines. They are also trained in managing minor illnesses and providing health and wellbeing advice.

Most pharmacies have a private consultation room where you can discuss issues with pharmacy staff without being overheard.

Many pharmacies are open until late and at weekends. You do not need an appointment.

Click on www.nhs.uk to access NHS services to find a Pharmacy.


GP practices across Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin are open for business and are providing a variety of different appointments to meet your needs.

Patients are able to pre-book appointments, for the majority of services, by contacting their own GP practice during normal opening hours.

If you are unable to get through to your own practice or the practice is closed, your call will be diverted to the Extended Access Call Centre. You may be offered a telephone or video appointment in the first instance.

Online appointments are available at most practices via the GP practice website. This will often save a face-to-face or telephone appointment and allows the GP or healthcare professional to deal with your query much more efficiently.

As systems vary from practice to practice, we would suggest checking individual practice websites for up-to-date information.

There are GP practices across Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin – click on www.nhs.uk to access NHS services to find a GP.

To find a GP in Wales, click here.

Mental Health


We’re here for you. If you need non-urgent information about mental health support and services that may be available to you: Please call our Infoline on 0300 123 3393. Email info@mind.org.uk.

Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin Access Team:

Freephone 24/7 urgent mental health helpline offering telephone support, advice and triage – telephone 0808 196 4501 or email access.shropshire@mpft.nhs.uk


Freephone 24/7 – 116 123
Email – jo@samaritans.org

NHS 111

Think you need medical help right now? NHS 111 is available to offer advice on the best course of action to take when you have an urgent but non-life-threatening health concern.

NHS 111 allows you to have access to advice 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, by phone and online and, if necessary, they can arrange for you to speak to relevant healthcare professionals, including Registered Nurses, emergency dentists, or even GPs.

The advisors can also arrange face-to-face appointments, and if you are assessed as needing an ambulance, one will be sent directly.

Whether over the phone or online, NHS 111 will ensure that you get the right care, from the right person, as quickly as possible.

So, if you think you need urgent medical help, call 111 or go online at 111.nhs.uk.

You can also download the ‘Ask NHS’ app via Google Play (for Android phones) or Apple App Store (for iPhones).

If you have a serious or life-threatening illnesses or injuries please dial 999.

If you live in Wales, NHS 111 Wales is available here.

Minor Injuries/Urgent Treatment

If you’ve hurt yourself, had a fall, burnt yourself or are suffering from another non-life-threatening issue, the Minor Injury Unit is a fast and effective way of getting treated without the long wait in A&E.

When to use a Minor Injury Unit
You can go to a minor injury unit for the following treatments:

  • Bites, human and animal
  • Cuts and lacerations
  • Foreign bodies in the eyes, nose and ears
  • Fractures that require plaster only (Ages 5 years and above)
  • Minor burns and scalds
  • Minor head injuries (with no loss of consciousness)
  • Soft tissue injuries, for example sprains and bruises
  • Wound infections

What is a Minor Injury Unit?
Your local Minor Injury Units (MIUs) are staffed by experienced nurses that will be on hand to assess you and treat you as quickly as possible.

They are not open 24 hours, but we do have four across the local area located in Bridgnorth, Ludlow, Oswestry and Whitchurch. You can find out more about them here.

Unfortunately, due to an equipment problem there is currently no x-ray available in Whitchurch MIU. Please be aware you may be re-directed to an alternative Minor Injuries Unit locally or the nearest Accident and Emergency once you have been assessed if an x-ray is deemed to be necessary.

Do I need a referral?
This is a self-referral walk-in service for people of any age.

However, your GP or other healthcare professional may refer you to an MIU. Likewise – if your condition cannot be dealt with at an MIU, they will refer you to your GP, the nearest A&E or another appropriate service.

There are four Community Minor Injury Units in Shropshire:

Find a Minor Injury Unit in Powys here.

Urgent Care Centres

Urgent Care Centres can help with a range of symptoms from high temperatures in children, breathing problems, severe headaches, abdominal pain, painful infections through to mild injuries and burns.

The centres offer appointments that can be booked through 111 and are equipped to diagnose and deal with many of the most common ailments people attend A&E for. They help ease the pressure on hospitals, leaving other parts of the system free to treat the most serious cases.

We have Urgent Treatment Centres located at both hospital sites (Royal Shrewsbury Hospital and Princess Royal Hospital, Telford) within our Emergency Departments. They are open from 9am-9pm seven days a week.

Patients whose condition is non-urgent will be redirected to their GP or minor injuries unit.

The Emergency Department (A&E)

This is intended for patients who have suffered a serious injury, severe Illness or a medical emergency.

When someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk, call 999.

Medical emergencies can include:

Call 999 immediately if you or someone else is having a heart attack or stroke. Every second counts with these conditions.

Also call 999 if you think someone has had a major trauma, such as after a serious road traffic accident, a stabbing, a shooting, a fall from height, or a serious head injury.

You can find your nearest A&E on the NHS Website.

Our Emergency Departments can be found at the following locations:

Royal Shrewsbury Hospital
Mytton Oak Road
Tel: 01743 261 000
Open 24 hours, 7 days a week

Click here to view map

Princess Royal Hospital
Apley Castle
Tel: 01952 641 222
Open 24 hours, 7 days a week

Click here to view map

More details on how to find us can be found on our “Getting To Us” page.