Urgent & Out of Hours Care and Emergency Departments


Important Information: Please note that the Urgent Care Centres (UCCs) have temporarily relocated due to the Coronavirus outbreak. You can read more about this on our news item.

The Emergency Department (A&E) is intended for patients who have suffered a serious injury, severe Illness or a medical emergency.

The hospital Emergency Department is there for everyone in the event of an accident or emergency. An emergency is a critical or life-threatening situation, such as:

  • loss of consciousness
  • acute confused state and fits that are not stopping
  • persistent, severe chest pain
  • breathing difficulties
  • severe bleeding that cannot be stopped
  • severe allergic reactions
  • severe burns or scalds

Key Info

Contact Us

Having read the information on this page, if you feel that you need to visit an Emergency department they can be found at the following locations;

Royal Shrewsbury Hospital
Mytton Oak Road
Tel: 01743 261 000
Open 24 hours, 7 days a week

Princess Royal Hospital
Apley Castle
Tel: 01952 641 222
Open 24 hours, 7 days a week

Please note that if at all possible, Emergency Departments are best avoided during peak times (evenings and weekends).

More details on how to find us can be found on our “Getting To Us” page


Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

Click here to view map

Princess Royal Hospital, Telford

Click here to view map

NHS Future Fit

For more information regarding the future of the two Emergency Departments and “Future Fit”, please visit our Sustainable Services page.

Choking, chest pain, blacking out, blood loss and fractures are all considered emergencies and those with these symptoms should not hesitate in visiting their local A&E department.

Is your accident really an emergency?

The NHS offers many ways for people to get the right treatment. For more information about different conditions and treatments you can visit the NHS Website.

Minor accidents which don’t need emergency treatment include cuts, sprains and rashes. People with this type of injury can visit a walk in centre or a minor injuries unit, where an appointment isn’t needed and a wide range of non-urgent conditions can be treated. Patients whose condition is non-urgent will be redirected to their GP or minor injuries unit.

In many instances, pharmacies can help. They can give advice and over-the-counter remedies for diarrhoea, minor infections, headaches, coughs and colds, as well as selling bandages and supports for minor twists and sprains.

Anyone who is unsure on the best course of action should ring NHS 111 for health advice 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

If you are worried about your symptoms or someone in your household then you can contact NHS 111 by telephone or the NHS 111 COVID-19 website.

It’s a good idea to make sure your GP surgery, local Out of Hours number and NHS 111 are saved into your mobile phone so you can quickly and easily call for advice if you’ve had a minor accident.

For more information about services, you can visit the NHS Services webpage.