Health and Health Inequalities Impact Assessment (EqHIIA) is a tool to assess the impact on people of applying a proposed, new, or revised policy or practice. HIIA goes beyond the public sector’s legal duty of the Equality Act 2010 to assess impact (EqHIIA) by assessing the impact on:
- health inequalities
- people with protected characteristics
- human rights
- socioeconomic circumstances
Why conduct a Health and Health Inequalities Impact Assessment?
Many policies, plans, proposals, or decisions have the potential to impact on health and potentially widen health inequalities. By conducting an EqHIIA the potential impacts can be considered, and action taken to reduce those impacts.
Impact assessments help to
- ensure we are not discriminating
- widen access to opportunities
- promote the interests of people with protected characteristics