Theatres, Anaesthesia and Critical Care
The Theatres, Anaesthesia and Critical Care department provides an extensive service to both sites across the Trust.
Departments operate on both sites – Royal Shrewsbury (RSH) and Princess Royal (PRH).
Overall, this includes the provision of clinical services to :
- 19 Theatres
- 2 Intensive Care Units
- An Obstetric Unit
- Acute and Chronic Pain services
- Pre-operative Assessment services
- Support of acutely ill adults and children in all clinical sites in the Trust – for example, Emergency Department, Inpatient Wards and Radiology
Aims of the Service
- To provide 24 hour specialist anaesthetic services to the highest quality
- To ensure patient safety and patient experience
- To provide safe anaesthesia for all patients undergoing elective surgery for all specialities
- To provide safe anaesthesia for all patients undergoing emergency surgery for all specialities
- To respond to emergency calls throughout the Trust in order to stabilise and facilitate safe transfer to definitive care.
- To facilitate safe intra and inter-hospital transfers
This anaesthetic service works in partnership with surgical specialties to ensure compliance with national performance indicators.
Clinical Services at SaTH are divided in such a way that anaesthetic elective and emergency provision is slightly different on each site. For more details, please visit our specific pages for either Royal Shrewsbury Hospital or Princess Royal Hospital.
Royal Shrewsbury Hospital
01743 261000 (Switchboard)
Princess Royal Hospital
01952 641222 (Switchboard)
Interested in working with us?
For more information about vacancies in the Trust please visit our Belong to Something website.
Please see the department pages on the left for more information about facilities on each site.
Associated Wards and Services
Head and Neck
Trauma and Orthopaedics
Women’s and Children’s
Ward 1 – AMU (Princess Royal Hospital)
Ward 7 (Princess Royal Hospital)
Ward 29 – AMU (Royal Shrewsbury Hospital)
Ward 30 (Royal Shrewsbury Hospital)
Ward 32 (Royal Shrewsbury Hospital)
Ward 33 (Royal Shrewsbury Hospital)
ITU/HDU (Princess Royal Hospital)
ITU/HDU (Royal Shrewsbury Hospital)
Day Surgery Unit (Princess Royal Hospital)
Day Surgery Unit (Royal Shrewsbury Hospital)