The Theatres, Anaesthesia and Critical Care department provides an extensive service to both sites across the Trust.
Departments operate on both sites – Royal Shrewsbury (RSH) and Princess Royal (PRH).
Overall, this includes the provision of clinical services to :
- 19 Theatres
- 2 Intensive Care Units
- An Obstetric Unit
- Acute and Chronic Pain services
- Pre-operative Assessment services
- Support of acutely ill adults and children in all clinical sites in the Trust – for example, Emergency Department, Inpatient Wards and Radiology
Aims of the Service
- To provide 24 hour specialist anaesthetic services to the highest quality
- To ensure patient safety and patient experience
- To provide safe anaesthesia for all patients undergoing elective surgery for all specialities
- To provide safe anaesthesia for all patients undergoing emergency surgery for all specialities
- To respond to emergency calls throughout the Trust in order to stabilise and facilitate safe transfer to definitive care.
- To facilitate safe intra and inter-hospital transfers
This anaesthetic service works in partnership with surgical specialties to ensure compliance with national performance indicators.
Clinical Services at SaTH are divided in such a way that anaesthetic elective and emergency provision is slightly different on each site. For more details, please visit our specific pages for either Royal Shrewsbury Hospital or Princess Royal Hospital.