Ward 33 Surgical Assessment Unit (SAU)
Welcome to Ward 33 Surgical Assessment Unit
The SAU is the only ward of its kind in the Trust – and in the whole of Shropshire. It is one of the emergency portals for the hospital, where we assess acutely ill surgical patients. We are also the only area to care for bariatric post-op elective patients.
Please speak to a member of staff before bringing children on the ward.
When visiting us at the ward we politely ask;
- That you make sure mobile phones are on silent.
- You avoid bringing flowers onto the ward due to hygiene reasons.
- Visitors avoid sitting on patient beds.
- There are no more than two visitors at a bedside.
- Chairs are put away at the end of each visit.
- Hand rub that is located on the main ward door is used when entering and leaving the ward. This is an important infection control measure.
If you are admitted to one of our hospitals and would like some guidance about your stay, please visit our staying with us page.
For general enquiries please contact:
Tel: 01743 261000
Ext: 1813/ 2373
Royal Shrewsbury Hospital
Ward Manager: Denise Bennett
Matron: Gill Joseph
“Every single staff member went above and beyond for me the care was second to none. Amazing people worth their weight in gold. Thank you so so much for your fantastic care and support”
“The care and attention given to me by everyone in the unit from the cleaning staff, the nurses to the anaesthetist the operating surgeon and all the theatre staff was absolutely first class. Congratulations to everyone involved in my superb care.”
“Fantastic staff on the SAU. Nothing was too much for any of them. It was nice to see them happy in their work which puts you at ease at what could be a difficult and traumatic time”