As the public sector is increasingly encouraged to collaborate effectively, our Hospital sites now host the GovRoam Network.
The GovRoam service creates seamless guest connectivity to other public organisations, giving encrypted and authenticated (therefore more secure) access to the internet. Access to local networks may require a VPN.
Visiting staff can access any GovRoam-enabled guest network in the same way, using their own sign-on credentials, reducing the time spent managing guest accounts.
The basic principle underpinning the security of GovRoam is that the authentication of a user is carried out at either his/her home organisation or an identity provider under contract to that organisation, using the organisation’s specific authentication method via a robustly encrypted network tunnel. The visited network carries out the authorisation required to allow access to local network resources of the user’s organisation.
The GovRoam App
The ‘GovRoam Companion’ is an app (iOS and Android compatible) that is available free of charge to all users of the GovRoam service. It’s role is to help users find the nearest available instances of GovRoam provision, making it easier to remain connected when travelling.
Users of the Govroam WiFI Network should avoid:
- Accessing any websites that contain inappropriate material;
- Activity that breaches current legislation, including (but not limited to): The Computer Misuse Act (1990), The Data Protection Act (1998), the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (2000) and the Human Rights Act (1998);
- Using this Wi-Fi service for commercial gain
- Sending unsolicited commercial or advertising material;
- Infringing the intellectual property rights of another person or copy/modify copyright protected material without authorisation;
- Displaying offensive material in any publicly accessible area