Complaints Procedure

How can I raise concerns?

Even when we try our best, things can go wrong. When this happens it is important that any concerns are taken seriously and appropriate action is taken.

If you do have a problem, please do try to bring it to the attention of a member of staff straight away. Misunderstandings do happen and the people concerned will normally want an opportunity to put things right.

It may help to take a few minutes to think about what you want to say when you raise your concern. Writing down a few notes can also be helpful. If you wish to talk through the situation in confidence, please ask to go to a more private place to discuss it.

If you do not feel comfortable raising the issue with the ward or department yourself then our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is here to help you.

If my concerns have not been addressed, how can I make a complaint?

If you have contacted PALS and your problem cannot be sorted out in this way, you may wish to make a formal complaint. To do this, you need to write to the Chief Executive within 12 months of the incident that caused the problem. Please address the letter to Chief Executive, Mytton Oak Road, Shrewsbury, SY3 8XQ, or email

If you are unable to make a complaint in writing or by email, you can register a verbal complaint by calling  01743 261000 ext. 2600.

For more information about this process, including the next steps in the process and details of advocacy services, please view our complaints leaflet or refer to our complaints policy.

Complaints Advocacy Services

The NHS Complaints Advocacy Service and Community Health Council (for Welsh residents) can provide free advice and support to anyone making a complaint. The service you contact is based on your home address, so please check the local authority maps for Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin and Powys in order to see which service you should use.

Although most people using the health service are happy with their care and treatment, things can sometimes go wrong. If you are a Shropshire resident and have not been satisfied with the service or treatment you’ve received from either RSH or PRH, you are entitled to complain about it.

For information on how to make a complaint please visit one of the following independent advocacy services:

What do I do if I am not satisfied with the response?

If you are not satisfied with the reply we would ask that you please come back to us with your outstanding concerns to enable us to see whether we can address them for you in a meeting or further letter.

If you still remain dissatisfied you may refer your complaint to the Health Service Ombudsman. The Ombudsman is an independent person who reports to Parliament. He or she will look into complaints made about NHS staff and services if you are not happy about the way in which your complaint was dealt with or the response you received. However, you will have to have completed the other procedures before the Ombudsman will accept your complaint.

You will need to send all of your paperwork or copies of it to the Ombudsman. It is then up to him / her to decide whether or not they will investigate your concerns. Again, further advice and information on this will be given at the time of request.