The Oral & Maxillofacial and Orthodontic Laboratory
We are a specialist team of Maxillofacial Prosthetists, and Specialist Restorative and Orthodontic Technicians providing a wide range of clinical and technical services throughout this Trust and to external users.
We provide support to the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthodontics and Restorative Dentistry and ENT. Our work includes:
- Facial and Body prosthetics
- Maxillofacial Oncology – Cover plates, stents, cutting guide for resection, implant planning, surgical planning etc
- 3D printing and surgical planning –Trauma, Oncology, Orthognathic, Implant placement and guides
- Post operative technical and clinical appliance care
- Orthodontic technical support
- Orthognathic model surgery
- Trauma – Splints, pre-bent plates (orbital/mandibular), arch bars
- TMJ appliances
- Stereo-lithographic models, required for surgery planning
- Custom made titanium plates
- Restorative Service i.e. obturators, implant retained dentures
- Implant service
- Sleep apnoea appliances
- Perforated nasal septum buttons – ENT
- Pressure splints for keloid scars
- Radiotherapy stents and guards
- Custom made sports gum shields (Charged to the patient)
- Mouth sticks – Paraplegic / Tetraplegic
- Departmental photographic service
- Continuous research and development
Telephone: 01743 261000
01952 641222 Ext 4178
Interested in working with us?
For more information about vacancies in the Trust please visit our Belong to Something website.
Associated Wards and Services
Speech and Language
The Maxillo Facial Prosthetists (MFP’s) based at Royal Shewsbury Hospital produce oral, facial and body prosthetics for patients who have undergone traumatic and disfiguring illnesses. These include head & neck cancers and skin cancer, and those who have acquired disfigurement through trauma.
The Specialist Orthodontic Technicians based at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital and Princess Royal Hospital provide technical support to the Orthodontic Clinicians, producing a vast range of removable, fixed and functional Orthodontic appliances. They also run an advanced photography service within the Department.
Meet The Team
Samantha Bunn – Principal Maxillo Facial Prosthetist / Laboratory Manager (Royal Shrewsbury)
Zac Smith – Lead Restorative Technician (Royal Shrewsbury)
Steve Jenkins – Specialist Orthodontic Technician / Deputy Laboratory Manager (Royal Shrewsbury)
Bobby Young – Dental Techncian (Princess Royal)
Hannah McGrath – Dental Technician (Royal Shrewsbury)
Sarah Windsor – Associate Dental Technician (Royal Shrewsbury)
Our work with other departments
The Oral and Maxillo-Facial and Orthodontic Laboratory also provide a service to other clinical centres, such as;
Dermatology – Body prosthetics i.e. Partial leg, partial shoulder, Sternum
Opthamology – Orbital Prosthesis
Radiotherapy – Custom made Mouth stents and Amalgam shields
Speech Therapy- Electro-palatography appliances
Our work with other Trusts
The Laboratory also raises income for the trust by providing services to other trusts, i.e:
Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt – Mouth Sticks.
Maelor hospital – Nasal buttons.
Dental Spa – Orthodontic Appliances.
Birmingham Childrens Hospital – Electro-palatography appliances.
Preview Our Work
Please click on the image below to view some of our work.