We are a specialist team of Maxillo Facial Prosthetists and Specialist Orthodontic Technicians providing both clinical and technical services. We support a number of services throughout this Trust and externally.
We provide support to the Department of Oral and Maxillo Facial Surgery, Orthodontics and Restorative Dentistry. Our work includes:
- Facial prosthetics i.e. Ear, Nasal, Orbital
- Body prosthetics i.e partial leg
- Orthodontic technical support
- Orthagnathic model surgery
- Trauma splints and plates
- TMJ appliances
- Stereo-lithographic models, required for surgery planning
- Custom made titanium plates
- Restorative Service i.e. obturators, implant retained dentures
- Implant service
- Sleep apneoa appliances
- Nasal septum buttons
- Pressure splints for keloid scars
- Radiotherapy stents and guards
- Electropalatography plates for speech therapy
- Custom made sports gum shields (Charged to the patient)
- Departmental photographic service
- Continuous research and development
The Maxillo Facial Prosthetists (MFP’s) based at Royal Shewsbury Hospital produce oral, facial and body prosthetics for patients who have undergone traumatic and disfiguring illnesses. These include head & neck cancers and skin cancer, and those who have acquired disfigurement through trauma.
The Specialist Orthodontic Technicians based at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital and Princess Royal Hospital provide technical support to the Orthodontic Clinicians, producing a vast range of removable, fixed and functional Orthodontic appliances. They also run an advanced photography service within the Department.
Our work with other departments
The Oral and Maxillo-Facial and Orthodontic Laboratory also provide a service to other clinical centres, such as;
Dermatology – Body prosthetics i.e. Partial leg, partial shoulder, Sternum
Opthamology – Orbital Prosthesis
Radiotherapy – Custom made Mouth stents and Amalgam shields
Speech Therapy- Electro-palatography appliances
Our work with other Trusts
The Laboratory also raises income for the trust by providing services to other trusts, i.e:
Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt – Mouth Sticks.
Maelor hospital – Nasal buttons.
Dental Spa – Orthodontic Appliances.
Birmingham Childrens Hospital – Electro-palatography appliances.